Fire Damage in York County
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor.
It is always important to remember to test and change you smoke alarm batteries every year.
Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Facts and FYIs:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Although it may not seem major there could hidden extensive damage
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- Although room doors may be closed you could be surprised by the distance soot and smoke damage can travel
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
- Did you know we have special designed sponges for soot and smoke cleaning that we bring on free inspections that help detect just how far and how bad the damage could possibly be.
Wet Vs. Dry Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Biddeford-Saco will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Did you know different types of interior paint have to be cleaned differently? That is why it is important to call an expert before you potentially make it worse.
Different Kinds of Smoke/Soot Damage:
- Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber: Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood: Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire (typically burnt foods): Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Breakdown of our Services:
As you can see each smoke and fire damage situation is different. We handle all inspections with high detail and care as each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 207-283-4428