7 Tips for Fall
Fall is here and that means colder weather here in Maine. This season is so extremely gorgeous here in Vacationland however it is also the season for preparation for a lot of home and business owners. We want you to be prepared for the winter season so you can avoid any water or mold damage. Here are a few tips to get your home and/or property ready for the cooler weather.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. Once all the leaves have fallen, be sure to clean out your gutters and downspouts or hire a handy helper to assist you! Clogged gutters during rainstorms can cause water to fill up and pool and damage your roof or siding.
- Make exterior repairs. Take a walk outside around your home or property and look for signs of damage to the roof (missing shingles or holes), siding and foundation. If you spot anything that needs repair, schedule it before winter weather hits.
- Check windows and doors. Make sure there are no cracks, leaks or air coming through the window sills or door frames. This is one of the easiest ways to save money on winter energy bills and to keep your home or business warmer!
- Seal gaps where critters could enter. Mice need a tiny little gap to be able to sneak into your home or business and make themselves at home. Fill small holes and cover any larger gaps securely with heavy-duty hardware cloth to keep critters in the wildlife.
- Clean your heating and air conditioning. Having these unit cleaned twice a year – spring & fall, - will help your family stay healthier and expand the lives of your units. A professional cleaning is inexpensive and doesn’t take long!
- Check your fireplace. Do a visual inspection of your fireplace to make sure that it is in good working order. Give it a test run at some point in this season, before it gets too cold to make sure it is ready to go without any problems!
- Check your water heater. Clean your water heater by draining it and allowing all of the water in the tank to come out. This will help prevent water build up during the winter and it will also get rid of any buildup that is in the heater due to sediment.
Fall is the perfect time to get outside and get all of your maintenance and winter preparation projects done before the cold winter months. If an emergency does happen, know we are here for you 24 hours 7 days a week, no matter what time it is or day. Call us SERVPRO of Biddeford – Saco at (207)-282-4428.