Cooking Safety Tips
Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home injuries according to the National Fire Protection Association aka NFPA. The leading cause of fires are unattended cooking.
- While cooking you should never leave the kitchen and if you have to, make sure you turn off the stovetop.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop; mitts, utensils, food packaging, towels, etc.
- Be sure that your smoke alarms are working properly and that you have a fire extinguisher near by.
- If a small fire arises on the stove top smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop.
- For an oven fire keep door shut and turn off heat.
- Stay alert!
"Cook with Caution" No matter the size of the kitchen fire it can be overwhelming. If you do not feel comfortable with fighting a small stovetop fire, exit the house and call 9-1-1.
SERVPRO of Biddeford-Saco is open 24/7- If you experience a kitchen fire we can help cleanup whether it be smoke, soot, or fire damage.
For more tips about kitchen fires visit the National Fire Protection Association at-http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking/safety-messages-about-cooking